I’ve just got a MCE compatible remote control. So I wanted to use it with SMPlayer.
Under Windows it was pretty easy, SMPlayer recognized the buttons as key strokes, so it was just a matter of assigning the remote buttons (Play, Stop, Volume Up and so on) to the proper functions. Now the development version (from r6033) already has those buttons assigned by default for new installations (for old installations you need to load the file default.keys in the shortcut editor).
Under Linux this remote control is already supported by the kernel, it works out of the box, it’s not necessary to use lirc or inputlirc. But there was a problem, some keys like Play, Pause, Stop didn’t work. These keys were grabbed by the desktop (it seems by a component of Gnome) and so they weren’t available by other applications. Fortunately this can be solved easily, in the gnome-control-center: Keyboard -> Sound and Media, just disable all the multimedia shortcuts.
In smplayer 0.8.5 a problem with opensubtitles.org was fixed. It failed sometimes to find subtitles. Now I noticed that the problem has come back. It wasn’t able to find subtitles for some videos, while subdownloader could find them. Continue reading →
We are glad to announce the release of smplayer 0.8.5. This new version features a fix for the option to find subtitles. Due to changes in opensubtitles.org, this option didn’t work well lately. We fixed it and now smplayer can find more subtitles than ever. Continue reading →